Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Letsagetabitarockin


I guess I"m in a nostalgia phase, because the Clash sure sound good to me now. I was a huge fan in the 80s, and then, after Combat Rock, didn't listen for years. I won't even comment on po st-Mick Jones Clash. But with Jones making some new music and getting airplay lately, radio djs are also playing more "vintage" Clash and I have to admit that it is really fun to hear Rock the Casbah again. Who knew?

One of the reasons I loved the Clash in the first place, aside from their rocking beat, was their desire to blend politics and music. Sometimes the mix wasn't always successful, but they tried. They had a point of view.

What musicians today have a point of view? I guess U2 is still trying to carry on, but let's face it, they're geezers, too. What young bands have something (anything) to say? I like a pop song as much as the next guy, but shouldn't there be someone out there who wants to share an opinion? Hip-hop tries, but it's subject matter seems narrow more often than not. And I prefer rock music.

I guess I want to hear a world-view, set to music. But not "world music!"


John Mayer's Waiting On The World To Change pretty much sums it up - today's lazy louts are just sitting around waiting for the regime to change. Does his generation even get what a non-messsage song this is? Not too impressive. If I want a pure, simple, straight-forward song, I'll listen to Dylan-fils, whose song doesn't aspire to be more than a nice, easy song for summer driving, but somehow has more meaning than Mayer's ever could.

For a more rocking tune, I like Green Day's version of Lennon's Working Class Hero, but again, it's borrowed, pre-packaged, spirit, from someone who already really put himself out there.

The Clash's Joe Strummer is sorely missed. One of the great rock voices, he always had something to say. Being the son of a diplomat probably helped with his world view. But he was also a great, fun, rock 'n' roll singer, even from his early days with the 101ers. Joe, we hardly knew ye.

p.s. Just for fun...


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blurb!

If you're interestd I posted a few good cover versions of Casbah at my blog:
http://versionsgalore.blogspot.com/2008/07/shareef-do-like-it.html

Post a Comment