Friday, April 24, 2015

favorite song friday: low budget

I've been listening to the Kinks album Low Budget lately and am struck by how Ray Davies's songs about how times are tough all over still resonates today — maybe even more strongly than when it was originally released in 1979.

Brothers Ray (L) and Dave Davies of The Kinks



I'm shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more

...

Art takes time, time is money
Money's scarce and that ain't funny
Millionaires are things of the past
We're in a low budgetville where nothing can last
Money's rare there's none to be found
So don't think I'm tight if I don't buy a round

I'm on a low budget
What did you say
Yes I'm on a low budget
I thought you said that
I'm on a low budget
I'm a cut price person in a low budget land

The entire album is great, but "Low Budget," "Catch Me Now I'm Falling," "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman," "A Gallon of Gas," and "Misery" are favorites.

0 comments:

Post a Comment