Sunday, November 29, 2009

a hard habit to break: NaBloPoMo

IMG_3640


November is NaBloPoMo, National Blog Posting month. The month is rapidly winding to a close, so I thought I should write about writing. I first heard about NaBloPoMo last year, on my friend KellyO's blog. I took the challenge seriously, and started posting daily. I later extended the challenge to the blog I began to manage at work, Smithsonian Libraries.

Blogging and writing has become a big part of my life. Some days all I can summon up is the energy to post a snapshot. Other times I stay up late, full of ideas, writing posts to get me through the next few days or rest of the week. Sometimes I read something on a friend's or stranger's blog that inspires me. Sometimes I carry around a pet peeve or the germ of an idea for weeks before it gets translated into a post. A lot of the time I compose a post while taking a shower at night and then try to get it all down before I go to sleep.

Blogging keeps me busy, makes me think, makes me more open, more creative, hopefully makes a reader laugh or respond in some way from time to time. It keeps me in touch with far away friends and with what's going on in the world, or at least the internet. It's a brain dump, a sounding board, sometimes just a cry in the wilderness. It could be a springboard to longer pieces, or just a daily note to myself. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Post a Comment