Friday, March 02, 2012

happy birthday, dr. seuss!

As I dropped off the kid at school today the librarian greeted each child at the door and gave them a sticker and said, "Happy Dr. Seuss Day!" How cool is that? I think some of the first Seuss books I read were also from the second grade school library. My favorite has always been The Sneetches, but I really love them all.



Tomorrow a friend is taking her to see the new Lorax movie as a belated birthday gift. I have had a love/hate relationship with the Seuss adaptations that his widow, Audrey Geisel, has approved since his death in 1991. I think she intends well, but I really can't stand any of the live-action versions and the animated ones have just been O.K. I do really love the older cartoon versions of his books, most of them from the '60s and '70s — the Grinch of course, but also The Cat in the Hat, The Sneetches and Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who, and an excellent animated version of The Lorax from 1972.

Horton Hatches the Egg, 1942

Horton Hears a Who, 1970

I'm sure she'll love the movie. I'm just happy that I don't have to see it until it eventually shows up on television. But any excuse to read some Seuss is good.

Happy 108th birthday Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment