Wednesday, May 08, 2013

r.i.p. ray harryhausen

Like many, I grew up with the amazing stop-motion animation of the incredibly talented Ray Harryhausen. My first exposure to his work was in Jason and the Argonauts, and I still enjoy watching it. The climactic fight between Jason and his men and the armed skeletons is a cinematic classic, but I also loved Harryhausen's Talos, the gigantic man of bronze.




I also loved Clash of the Titans, with a gorgeous young Harry Hamlin as the intrepid Perseus, who is tested by A-list actors playing the Greek Gods - Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, Claire Bloom, and Ursula Andress, Hamlin's lady love at the time.



A few years ago I found a DVD with some of Harryhausen's early work, stop-motion animated nursery rhymes and fairy tales, like Rapunzel, Mother Goose, etc., that my daughter loves. She also loves Jason and the Argonauts. We're carrying on the Harryhausen appreciation to the next generation. Thanks, Mr. Harryhusen, for a lot of fun at the movies.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment