Friday, February 21, 2014

favorite song friday: is it wrong that I like this song?

The song, "Talk Dirty," by Jason Derulo, is wrong on so many levels. But I can't help it. I like it. The lyrics are sexist and even nasty, especially when 2 Chainz steps in (totally unnecessarily) for a creepy rap outlining his sexual demands. I mean seriously, have we really come to the point where we have to rhyme "genius" with "penis" in a song? I know braggadocio and sex go hand-in-hand with most radio fare these days, but 2 Chainz makes "Talk Dirty" really not suitable for radio airplay. So why is it that every time he damn song comes on the air while I'm driving I want to turn it up? It's the silly horns. I love them.

2 Chainz and Jason Derulo
Derulo and friend in the song's video


As much as might I enjoy "Talk Dirty" I can't help but rip it apart a little, too. It was written by Jason Derulo, 2 Chainz, Eric Frederic, Jason Evigan, Sean Douglas, Ori Kaplan, Tamir Muskat, and Tomer Yosef. Did it really take eight guys to put together inane lyrics like these:

"You know the words to my songs
No habla inglés
Our conversations ain't long
But you know what is
I know what the girl them want, London to Taiwan
I got lipstick stamps on my passport
I think I need a new one"

Doing a little further research, what I really like about the song turns out to be a sample of the song "Hermetico" by the Israeli-American pop group Balkan Beat Box. The sample on the track was provided by Wallpaper's Ricky Reed.

Balkan Beat Box



Looks like I need to check out this band now. And to answer my previous question about songwriting, to be fair, the last three names listed on "Talk Dirty" I now know are all members of Balkan Beat Box, so credit was given where credit was due. I guess I've got Jason Derulo to thank for not just entertaining me as I drive around, but pointing me towards some new music. 2 Chainz, not so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment