Tuesday, December 02, 2014

being present this christmas

So much stuff. And always more of it. Frankly, I've had it. I just don't want any more. We live in  such a beautiful place, surrounded by both abundance and need. So what to do, as we approach the season of giving (and buying)?

I informed ny daughter about a month ago that this Christmas there would be no big presents. Some stocking stuffers, and a tree, and everything else we like about the holiday, of course. But I also told her not to despair - that didn't mean there wouldn't be any gifts - just not more things, more stuff.

image

This year we are going to have experiences. And we wouldn't have to wait until Christmas for all of them. We have already "opened" two of our gifts - we have seen a Broadway production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Cinderella and So You Think You Can Dance on tour at our local arts center. That will be followed up by a Lego event and a live-action Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer later this month.

I may actually end up spending as much or more than if I had to decided to get her a bunch of presents, but that's not the point. I want her to connect with experiences more than things this year. That's what I want for myself, too. Be present, not get presents.

1 comments:

eliza gilligan said...

I couldn't agree more! I don't need more stuff but it can be hard to shift traditions when dealing with multiple family members who don't want to change. It sounds like you've got some great ideas, enjoy!!

Post a Comment