Wednesday, June 03, 2009

my fair lady

I've been immersed in family photos that my mom has brought me recently. It's amazing what my family managed to hold onto. And it's equally amazing to look at baby pictures from over 100 years ago and see my daughter's face or mine staring out at me.

But I am especially enchanted by my great grandmother, Mary Vaughan Bretherton, and how absolutely exquisite she was. Henry Higgins wouldn't have given Eliza Doolittle a second thought if he had ever caught a glimpse of this lovely lady...

Elegantly Dressed Wednesday button

1 comments:

JJM said...

When the Japanese invaded Indonesia during WW II and started interning all civilians, my mother's mother made sure the family always took two things with them.

One was sewing equipment and bolts of cloth, because she knew that new clothing would be an invaluable trading asset for food.

The other was the one thing that could never ever be replaced: the family photographs. All else could be, and was, left behind ...

I know exactly the sort of joy those photographs can bring.

Post a Comment