Wednesday, March 17, 2010

tell me the truth

Impressions of last night's Sawyer-centric (!) LOST . . .





Sawyer . . . I knew Sawyer was a cop or something like it Sideways. And partnered with Miles. Psych! Vive LaFleur! And also that Smokey couldn't con a conman. Sideways Sawyer still lies like a rug, but he's conflicted about it.

Date night . . . I'm sure all of fandom hoped for Juliet, but . . . got Charlotte instead. Makes more sense, considering Miles was doing the setting-up. Sawyer seems to have the same sad backstory, but just made different choices.

Running into the running one, Kate . . . I guess these two are destined to share airspace. When she bumped Jack on the airplane she stole his pen to escape. Maybe bumping into cop Sawyer while she is once again escaping from something will get her on the right, non-running, path.

Why exactly does Island Sawyer want to get off this rock? Does he even know anymore? "I'm with no one." He's working Smokey, working Widmore. At first I thought he might also be working Kate, but it was clear he had her in mind with "his people" that he wants to get off the Island. Sawyer talks a good game about only looking out for #1, but he is always concerned about his team.





Smokey . . . "I'm the smoke thing." Smokey is also trying to work all the angles . . . Kate's not buying what he's selling. Is he done with Claire? And could his "crazy mommy" be the Island itself? Or the goddess Taweret? It's definitely sounding like the Losties are caught up in some serious sibling rivalry.

Kate . . . Kate's little quest to "save" Claire has come to a not-so-pretty end. Sayid is still a damn zombie (thanks for the assist, pal.) Creepy Claire and her "baby," holding Kate's hand—even Kate seemed grossed out by the cradle and the pseudo-friendly gesture. And I wasn't quite buying that hug and post-murder-attempt apology. Watch your back, Kate.





Miscellany . . . Who or what's in the locked room on the sub? Desmond? Something that can kill Smokey? There were lots of fun LOST trivia/pop culture shout-outs to fans—Sawyer's reading and television tastes are consistent in both realities—Watership Down, Little House on the Prairie. An Indiana Jones reference when he met Charlotte (Dude!) Sawyer woos with sunflowers.

Next week we will get the what's what on my favorite Island immortal, Richard. SO looking forward to that.

2 comments:

jane said...

Oh it just gets better and better! Here are some random thoughts after watching the last episode which I have to re-watch because I was a bit distracted since I tried to watch it with the little one awake. She actually closed the computer at one point. I was also going through papers from school to get rid of them.

Crazy moms seems to be a newish theme although there was Danielle and Alex. Am I missing any other crazy moms? Locke is setting up Claire and yes Kate should watch her back.

I agree about the lack of assist on zombie Sayid's part. I think that might have been more upsetting to Kate than the actual attack.

If Sawyer keeps going at this rate he will have slept with all of the female character's soon. I think Charlotte made more sense than Juliette in part because it seems Juilette might be in some Limbo or really dead from having ignited the bomb.

I'm still wondering what happened to Jin. He was last seen in a meat locker right?

Sawyer definitely cares about his people and is not the loner he pretends to be. He has also shown himself to be the best at playing the twists and turns the island throws. (Sorry jack but you're a mess even if you can't be blown up.) At first I thought he was foolish to tell Locke what was up on Hydra but then again, Whitmore is ruthless and will kill anyone. He definitely doesn't want any survivors who know about the island.

The body count is growing as are the mass graves on the island. Which makes me think the island is history itself. On the other hand I don't think the island is that easily defined.

I was throwing out old notes and articles from Parsons today and found something about the definition of "hand" and the laying on of hands by God which transfers powers or gifts, which brings us to Alpert. Is he the next character to get an episode?

Also there was an article that was trying to define religion and said it was "morality paired with emotion". That seemed fitting!

Finally, I have to see what the three books Sawyer was reading in the "sideways" (why do they call it that?) world. I caught Watership Down (which I've never read but now think I should). Was Lolita one of the books?

Little House on the Prairie killed me. Loved the books but never liked the show! But so perfect for Sawyer. But it made me wonder what is the time frame of the sideways world? The present right? So Sawyer watches old reruns of Little House. Oh my god he's still a sad little boy!

I could go on and on that's what I love about Lost.

xoxoxo said...

I have been so tempted lately to watch the first season again, because I think it would help to see where they all started, but who has the time? I'm just happy to be able to keep up so far with this season.

The only other "crazy" mom that comes to mind is Eloise, the one who shot her son, Daniel Faraday while they were time-traveling. Oh, and Sun - how the hell could she leave her baby daughter? I know she loves Jin, but come on!

Sayid is just chilling, but I feel like I have to let him go - he's truly lost.

LaFleur, Jim LaFleur...I was thinking the same thing about Sawyer too - what woman hasn't he been with? Sun, I guess. But he is Sawyer : ) I am not really hoping for him to find Juliette again. They were sweet, but I don't think he ever truly got over Kate - how he looked at that dress in the cage, was more than a little wistful.

Interesting points about religion. All religions have massacres. I wonder (again) if the Island is some pan-religious playing out of this team vs. that team, forever and ever. And speaking of forever, yes it's supposed to be about Richard next week, so we should get some idea of his (and the Island's) past - I hope! Also, who killed all those people by the Ajira plane (and who the heck were they?) Smokey?

I caught the book A Wrinkle in Time on Sawyer's dresser as well as watership Down, but not the 3rd one. I never read either book - sounds like we are constructing our summer reading list! I never liked Little House, either, but you're right - what a perfect thing for Sawyer to want to watch. Of all the Sideways stories so far, his is the only one I wouldn't mind going back to and watching what happens next - his friendship with Miles, will he give up on revenge, will he let Kate go. I read on some site that they should spin off the two of them into a new cop show - Lost and Order!

Post a Comment