Monday, March 09, 2009

beat the clock

I'm sure this is a popular rant today, but I have to chime in. Why are we still doing daylight savings (DST) anyway? Although Benjamin Franklin has been blamed for the practice in this country, apparently that's not the case (sorry, Nick Cage). But by a popular survey of just about anyone I ask, the general consensus is that DST is not necessary.

DST aside, I always feel the clock ticking and it's starting to drive me crazy. When I get up in the morning, I have the usual tasks to complete for hygiene and nourishment for myself and my daughter, but there is always that clock ticking - we need to get out the door by X-time to get downtown to school and work and not be late, etc., etc. I don't want to be chronically late, but I also need to turn the damn clicking thing off, or I will become chronically insane.

The clock is still ticking, even louder, while I am at work, as my supervisor is the sort of person who never misses an opportunity to glance pointedly at the clock on everyone's entrance. I've turned down the volume, but can't seem to quite pull the plug on that tick, tick, tick.

When I get home, the clock seems to tick louder than ever, because even though the order in which we do things has less importance than the morning, the fact that I only have limited time to spend with my daughter is emphasized, as we get her in the bath, make dinner, watch some T.V., wind down, and get ready for bed.

I realize that I can't have my weekend schedule during the week, when I go a bit more at my own pace, but I do need to slow down and enjoy weekday life a bit more. I stopped wearing a watch last year and it has helped a bit. Any other techniques anyone is using out there to make time a friend and not an enemy?

2 comments:

n. said...

i feel ya. for me it home when we were backing out of the driveway a one day last year and f. asked in a fearful tone, "mommy, are we gonna be late?" the reality is, so what if we are late?! school will be there when you arrive, so will work, etc. it is not worth compounding the already stressful routines of the day. obviously it is great to teach our children to have a good work ethic and be respectful of other peoples time, but i put enough of my other "stuff" on my child, so i am trying not to pass along my obsession to always be early.

xoxoxo said...

"So what" is right. I honestly don't think walking into the office at 8:55 versus 9:00 or 9:12 should make any difference as long as you do good work. That's my work ethic. The watching-the-clock mentality is so last century...

Post a Comment