Monday, August 09, 2010

i know it's elvis week, but . . .

. . . I have to share my favorite number from my favorite Elvis movie, Viva Las Vegas—featuring Ann-Marget singing "Baby Blue Racing Car."


Movies like this were very formative for me growing up. They were filmed while I was just an infant, some even before I was born, but became television movie staples when I was an older kid.

Ann-Marget was adorable, she could sing and dance, and at the end of the movie she drove off in the sunset with Elvis. She wasn't just a submissive Bond girl, the other sixties female hottie prototype that was on television when I was first thinking about boys and how to look sexy. She was sassy and spunky and an entertainer in her own right.

Of course at the end of the movie it's hard to beat Elvis singing the title song, but  she gave Elvis a run for his money. It's one of the few Elvis vehicles where the female lead actually gets to lead, which is why it's my favorite Elvis movie, and that's due to the charm and talent of Ann-Marget.


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment