Sunday, August 26, 2018

favorite movies #21: the way, way back

Favorite movies that have had an impact on me - #21 - The Way, Way Back (2013) - Sam Rockwell is one of those actors who seems charming and effortless, but I suspect there’s a lot more roiling under the surface. I still think he has yet to find the perfect vehicle for his talent, but he’s come close in quite a few, and manages to steal every scene he’s in. This is a sweet coming of age story with a slightly dark underbelly (mostly in the person of Steve Carell), and I love it. It’s a perfect end of summer movie, too.
Duncan (Liam James): This is the only place I'm happy. 
Owen (Sam Rockwell): What's going on? 
Duncan: I hate him. 
Owen: Who? 
Duncan: Trent. My mom's boyfriend. He said I was a three. He asked me what I thought I was on, a scale from one to ten. He called me a three. Who says that to somebody? 
Owen: Someone who doesn't know you. 
Duncan: I didn't want to have to answer! I shouldn't have to answer! 
Owen: Listen to me. That's about him, man. That's all about him. It's got nothing to do with you. 
Duncan: [vehemently] Yeah? How do you know? 
Owen: 'Cause I know, okay? Don't worry about how I know. My dad was the same way. That's why I don't like patterns and rules. And that's why you can't buy into that shit. You gotta go your own way. And you, my friend, are going your own way.





0 comments:

Post a Comment