Wednesday, November 19, 2008

staying alert

O. K., not a typical dropping off of the kid at pre-school this morning. I mean, like most days, I was running behind and needed to get her in and settled before I raced off to park the car and get to the office. But today, the museum building which houses her preschool was getting a visit from the President.

"Rocko Bama?" No, not yet, kid.

"This is the current president. He probably wants to visit the museum."

I think the president's behind us now. I'm afraid!" I couldn't help it, I had to look. Just a line-up of SUVs and limos along the sidewalk.

"Not yet."

The entire museum was in lock-down mode in preparation for the visit. If you didn't get in by a certain time you couldn't until noon. If you didn't get out by a certain time, you were stuck there. As I walked down the street after dropping her off, I could see that security had doubled since we had entered ten minutes earlier. I understand the need. I just wonder what it must be like to live with that level of "alert," both for the protectors and the protected.

As a city dweller I probably live with a more heightened sense of paranoia, compared to a suburb dweller. Maybe not. As a mom, my fear level has definitely increased. But I am looking forward to a lessening in the politics of fear. I've thought about this before, but I am wondering again, how President Obama will be able to appear more accessible and friendly than his predecesssor. It will be a great challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment