Thursday, November 06, 2008

while you're making your inauguration plans...

January 20 is a national holiday. Really. And it will follow another national holiday, Martin Luther King Day, on January 19. How cool is that? So what should the inauguration theme be for President Obama? (Gee, that has a nice ring to it.) Bill Clinton used Fleetwood Mac for his campaign, and then later had them play at his inaugural ball. Here are some serious and not-so-serious suggestions:

Stevie Wonder - I love Higher Ground and Superstition, but maybe For Once in My Life and You Are the Sunshine of My Lifewould be appropriate? How about Signed Sealed Delivered? It would just be great to see him perform.



Prince's Raspberry Beret would be cool. OK, not a chance, but I love that song. What about Sting's Brand New Day, 'cause it is, you know?

Obama was in his 20s in the 80s. I think most folks really pick their "era" in their 20s and form most of their tastes in that decade of their life. There could be some interesting choices. Here is a small sample of possible tunes (from '81 to '84) that might work:

Celebration - Kool and The Gang
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
Super Freak - Rick James
I'm So Excited - Pointer Sisters
Rock This Town - Stray Cats
The Message - Grandmaster Flash
Wanna Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson
Rock The Casbah - The Clash
Bang The Drum All Day - Todd Rundgren
New Year's Day - U2
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
True - Spandau Ballet
She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Lucky Star - Madonna

Fun, fun, fun...

2 comments:

Kelly O said...

I have that song from The Wiz, Brand New Day (Everybody Rejoice!), stuck on repeat in my head. Did you ever see it? The part where all the factory workers shed their skins and rejoice because, yes, it's a brand new day.

xoxoxo said...

I just checked it out on YouTube. I never heard it (or saw the Wiz), but this would totally work, too.

Post a Comment