Friday, August 29, 2014

favorite song friday: cool kids

Continuing the back to school theme, Echosmith has a deceptively laid-back song that both the kid and I like, "Cool Kids." Echosmith is an American band comprised of four siblings: Graham, Sydney, Noah, and Jamie Sierota.

It took a few listenings for my daughter to really hear the underlying sadness of the song, which perfectly captures the yearning and frankly, ignorance, of youth:

She sees them walking in a straight line, that's not really her style.
And they all got the same heartbeat, but hers is falling behind.
Nothing in this world could ever bring them down.
Yeah, they're invincible, and she's just in the background.
And she says,

"I wish that I could be like the cool kids,
'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.
I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids."

Echosmith, L-R: Jamie (21, guitar), Sydney (17, vocals), Graham (15, drums), and Noah (18, bass).


It's hard being a kid. Especially in our media-obssessed culture. Peer pressure never really goes away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment